1. Stop or cut down on habits like smoking, morning coffee, drinking alcoholic beverages, weekly manicures, regular salon visits etc…
2. Throw your loose change along with singles and fives into a piggy bank and add it to your savings account at the end of the year.
3. Buy holiday gifts way before or after the holidays.
4. When out shopping, before you look anywhere else, go straight to the sale rack.
5. When dining out, pass on the alcohol and have soda, juice or a glass of water.
6. When dining out, order an appetizer instead of an entrée.
7. Clip those coupons.
8. Cut down on your meat and fish purchases the next time you grocery shop.
9. Learn to haggle.
10. Avoid eating out.
11. Stop buying newspapers and magazines. Get the same news and information online.
12. Discover the wonderful world of second-hand furniture, clothes, electronics, and more!
13. To save on your electric bill, plug out phone chargers and appliances that are not in use. Turn off all the lights in rooms no one is in.
14. Buy seasonal clothing outside of its season.
15. Avoid unnecessary ATM fees. Withdraw money in bulk to avoid frequent ATM visits or find your bank’s ATM so that you don’t have to pay any fees.
16. Borrow books from the library instead of buying them.
17. Cash in on rebates.
18. When traveling, don’t feel the need to bring something back for everyone you know.
19. Never pay someone to do what you already know how to do. Do your own hair, lay your own tiles, paint your house, create your own resume, hem your own clothes.
20. Cancel your gym membership, and go for a nice jog outside. Find things around the house that you can use as weights like empty milk containers filled with water. Invest in exercise videos or your own exercise machine to cut back on expensive gym membership fees.
21. When going to the movies, skip the concession stand and bring your own little snacks with you.